For a better FM DXing, a Yagi or a vertical aerial?

FM antenna discussion
jotagarzon

For a better FM DXing, a Yagi or a vertical aerial?

Post by jotagarzon » 09 Jun 2019 14:11

Hi to all,
I would like to share a topic related to propagation and antennae.

Regarded with tropo propagation I am still asking to myself about which is the best antenna to catch signals. I notice when I am driving under Tropo conditions that signals use to fluctuate (or fade in/out) along with the driving, even if they are strong enough to be clearly identified. I always say that catching a tropo whilst driving is like having a strainer above draining signals to the ground ;-)

I also get superb signals via Tropo with my vertical FM aerial (Fanfare FM 2G) but Es openings also gives extraordinary signals most of the times. Having in mind that signals come from above at different angles, is it -under these circumstances, the overall performance of a yagi antenna much greater than a vertical one? Should be better to elevate some degrees the front end of a yagi to beam it towards the sky and get a better signal in an Es openign and/or Tropo signal? What about Meteor or Aircraft Scatter?

Always trying to know more and better...

Jorge
Jorge Garzón. EB7EFA / EA0080
QTH 43º15'N·03º56'W / IN83ag. Cantabria (Spain)
Rx: AirSpy HF+ / RSP1A / Sony SA3-ES-EE
Ant.: Fanfare FM-2G
Blog: http://jotagarzon.home.blog

satnipper

Re: For a better FM DXing, a Yagi or a vertical aerial?

Post by satnipper » 09 Jun 2019 17:50

Tropo maintains the polarization of the transmitted signal. Sporadic E doesn't.

"the overall performance of a yagi antenna much greater than a vertical one?"

If the Yagi is pointing in the direction of the transmitted signal of course. If it isn't - probably not.

F4EGZ

Post by F4EGZ » 25 Jun 2019 10:26

Hello,if in your area the local transmitters are in vertical polarization it is better to use horizontal antennas to attenuate the local signals and find free frequencies for the dx.

Ced

AMDXHUN

Post by AMDXHUN » 25 Jun 2019 15:23

Very interesting topic! According my own experiences, the Vertical yagi is better for SpE but 3 years ago during an opening with the Vertical dipole I heard Spanish and Algerian stations, but when switched to my Horizontal dipole, British stations are popped up on the same frequencies. Example: on 88.1 with the V. I heard Batna FM with RDS, but when switched to H. BBC R2 RDS appeared.

Return to “Antennas”